Asset Tracker

Paul Pathiakis paul at pathiakis.com
Mon Nov 20 04:55:07 PST 2006

On Friday 17 November 2006 14:55, Ion-Mihai IOnut Tetcu wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:15:00 +0200
>
> Ion-Mihai "IOnut" Tetcu <itetcu at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:38:03 -0500
> >
> > Paul Pathiakis <paul at pathiakis.com> wrote:
> > > Good day Ports!
> > >
> > > I have a high interest, along with several others, to see Asset
> > > Tracker be made into a port.  I have contacted the software author,
> > > Todd Chapman, (todd at chaka.net) and he has given me permission to
> > > pass on his name and the software address.
> > >
> > > Asset Tracker is an overlay to RT (Request Tracker) and tracks
> > > assets (ok, duh... :-) ) I'm slowly converting the infrastructure
> > > machines, in a company that provides Solaris and RH as platforms to
> > > customers, into FreeBSD.  Their accounting department and IT
> > > department are having problems tracking locations, addresses and
> > > specification of the platforms (PCs, workstations, servers,
> > > switches, etc) and keeping them in a centralized, platform
> > > independent repository.
> > >
> > > I believe Asset Tracker may be the extensible tool we need.  Please
> > > assist. If someone from ports could contact the author (CC address)
> > > about getting this into ports it would be most appreciated.
> >
> > I _might_ be interested in this. Could you please drop me a link to
> > the project ?
>
> Thanks Todd and Matthew for the URL.
>
> OK, it looks like something we could use, so I'm interested in it.
> However, I never used RT and I'm low on free time, so if someone else
> wants to step in please drop me an email. Matthew ?
>
> Paul, if you don't here for me about this till the middle of next week,
> please ping me.

Will do.

I hope this is a positive experience for all.  I was showing both RT and AT to
the person I report to onsite.  She's gone rogue with OSS.  Major institution
that owns them is so slow in moving, she keeps asking me what's out there to
replace to cut costs or just fill a gap.  A real ticketing system and
something to track assets were huge.

I'm just happy that over the years a lot of the ports I needed for my own
company and other company's has been taken on by ports despite my inability
to take on some of the work, I feel the contribution I'm making is in finding
real apps that people can make real use of in the small office/home office
arena.

To this end, I hope AT's adoption into ports goes well.

P.