Can't do a portupgrade -rf on any of my mail/courier installation

Milan Obuch freebsd-ports at dino.sk
Sun Nov 12 13:25:20 PST 2006

On Sunday 12 November 2006 22:05, eculp at bafirst.com wrote:
> hi,
>
> Strange problem trying to run portupgrade -rf mail/courier on both
> current and 6.2-PRERELEASE with all ports up to date.  Only one of the
> machines has an older courier that I tried to update and get the error
> so I decided I would build a package from one of the up to date
> installations but much to my surprise I get the same error.  One of
> the installations I just built within the las 15 days so it would seem
> that it can be built but not rebuilt which makes no sense to me.  All
> of the courier installations are working fine.  This all came to light
> with a portupgrade -afr on one machine.  Same thing with a cd
> /usr/ports/mail/courier; make
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> thanks,
>
> ed

This seems to be an issue with either fam or gamin as currently present in
ports tree. I do not understand everything in detail, one does not link (just
as you showed), the second one builds but does not run (imapd dumps core, so
no usable imap server). If someone with more fam/gamin knowledge could help
here, it would be great. As a temporary workaround, you could comment out
line in Makefile telling WITH_FAM= YES (or something similar is there) and be
just fine, loosing ENHANCED IDLE support, however. You could even update this
way to 0.53.3, by the way. I did not try to put this update into PR yet
exactly due this fam/gamin issue.
Regards,
Milan