VMware Workstation does not run on 2.0.x SMP Linux kernels. Please update to a 2.2.x or later SMP Linux kernel

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Mon Nov 6 20:19:42 PST 2006

Hello,

I've recently installed emulators/vmware3, purchased a linux license on ebay,
and ran into this message:

VMware Workstation does not run on 2.0.x SMP Linux kernels.  Please update to
a 2.2.x or later SMP Linux kernel

Argh!!!!!

I'm running 5.4-RELEASE (SMP) but I get the same message on my laptop, running
6.1-RELEASE

I'm tempted to rebuild the kernel WITHOUT SMP, but I just want to know if
anyone else is able to run vmware 3 in ANY configuration with 5.4 or 6.1

Thanks,

lane