Screwed ports tree/package database on my server

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Tue May 30 09:39:02 PDT 2006

Hi

I seem to have come across some serious corruption in the package database
and/or tools by some method or other.

The basic symptom is that dependencies reported by pkgdb -F are of the
form

apache-2.2.2 -> Terminated

These ports have empty directories in /var/db/pkg (no +COMMENTS or +REQUIRED_BY
etc.)

Every port I install tries to depend on apxs for some reason; isn't this
the Apache module tool? Why would libiconv and so on require apxs? Why would
lighttpd require it?

And then finally every portupgrade or make install HANGS with:

===>   Registering installation for apache-2.2.2

.. and nothing, for hours. Eventually it spawns 65000 or so "make" commands and
starts to complain (apu-1-config on *ALL* ports, not just Apache, APR or
Subversion, and NOTHING is running on the server, least of all those dependant
on APR) about temporarily not being able to fork.

Does anyone have even the slightest clue what might be going wrong here and how
we fix it? Note: reinstall not an option.

We're running stock FreeBSD 4.9 with OpenSSL and BIND9 from ports, that's the
only major modification apart from running other ports..

Thanks in advance,

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>
Manager, Genesi, Developer Relations