Number of maintainers vs. number of ports

Sam Lawrance boris at brooknet.com.au
Sat May 27 18:52:17 PDT 2006

On 28/05/2006, at 9:53 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Tue, 23 May 2006, Conor McDermottroe wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 09:25:28PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>>> Nevertheless, I'd still like to see more maintaine{rs,d ports}.  We
>>> now have a nice document about "what it means to be a
>>> maintainer", so
>>> I think we should start doing some outreach to bring new people in.
>>
>> Perhaps we should encourage users to look at the ports they have
>> installed that are unmaintained and think about volunteering to
>> maintain
>> them?
>
> Some method of making it easier to build a pkg-plist would help
> also ... unless I've missed it along the way?  I think that that is
> the part of updating ports I maintain that I hate the most, and one
> reason why I avoid ones that install alot of files :(

Tinderbox (misc/tinderbox) will catch plist and other errors.  It's
great, if you can run it.  I used to run sysutils/ftrace to watch the
install, and diff the list of installed files against the temporary
packing list generated by the port.  sysutils/pkg_trackinst is
available as well (no idea how good it is).