setting EMACS_PORT_NAME=emacs22 forks make infinitely at the port registration step

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue May 23 13:04:09 PDT 2006

Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> Mark Evenson píše v út 23. 05. 2006 v 21:01 +0200:
>
>> Am I using the EMACS_PORT_NAME variable correctly?  (i.e. its not a
>> forbidden user knob like USE_XXX)
>
> You must never set up any internal variables. This is one of them.
> You should limit yourself to WITH_*, WITHOUT_*, and the variables
> explicitly documented in end user documentation.

Dumb question:  what do you mean by end user documentation?  What the port
emits to the console in the process of building plus available options
stored under /var/db/ports?

Andrey Slusar's reply to this thread [[1]] seems to imply that
EMACS_PORT_NAME *is* a end user option.  But then you have a @freebsd.org
address and he doesn't…

Without an end-user mechanism like EMACS_PORT_NAME, maintaining all Emacs
dependent ports for separate versions of Emacs will get combinationally
explosive.  So ports just supports one canonical version of Emacs (what's
in editors/emacs) for all Emacs add-ons (like psvn, nxml, etc.)?

Thanks for the clarification.

---

[[1]]