Number of maintainers vs. number of ports

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 23 17:32:54 UTC 2006

Andrew Pantyukhin píše v út 23. 05. 2006 v 12:59 +0400:
> On 5/23/06, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> > > Haha, there are some non-ASCII chars in INDEX, and I use
> > > UTF-8 locale, which made my search inaccurate.
> > >
> > > This is closer to the truth:
> > >
> > > Maintainers 18 months ago: ~1192
> > > Maintainers now: ~1469
> > >
> > > cut -f6 -d\| INDEX | tr A-Z a-z | sort -u | wc -l
> >
> > Nevertheless, I'd still like to see more maintaine{rs,d ports}.  We
> > now have a nice document about "what it means to be a maintainer", so
> > I think we should start doing some outreach to bring new people in.
>
> We need to punish our most active submitters with commit
> bits on a more regular basis. That means less open pr's
> and submissions being dealt a lot faster. I was delighted
> to see most of my fixes/updates/additions being committed
> (not without corrections) in less than 48 hours when I was an
> additional contributor.

48 hours?

Man, when I sent in my first PR, I waited nine frikkin months to have it
handled.

When I joined the project, you was lucky to fit into 3 months.
Repocopy took a month just to get an ack from the repomeister.
Admins needed six weeks to create my freefall account. And when they
finally managed, I found myself stuck in the release freeze size of
Alaska!

You boys have it all sweets and easy today.

;)

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

The number you dialed is imaginary.
Please turn your phone by 90 degrees and try again.