Questions re: portupgrade & local packages.

Peter Losher plosher-keyword-freebsd.a36e57 at plosh.net
Sat May 20 06:34:59 UTC 2006

So I have been a basic portupgrade user for a couple of years now, and I
am starting to roll it out as a more complete package management across
all of my personal boxes.  However I have come across some roadblocks,
and 'man portupgrade' isn't too forthcoming... (or it's too late at
night on a Friday evening)

If there is a better forum for portupgrade questions do let me know. :)

In any case, I have started to build all my own packages that I pull
from a internal repository - most with the standard defaults turned on,
but some have specific tweaks.  For example, I build net/mtr w/o X11
support, and the resulting package is named mtr-nox11-<version>.tgz.
All fine and dandy but when I try to 'portupgrade -PP mtr-nox11' I get:

-=-
** Detected a package name change: mtr-nox11 (net/mtr) -> 'mtr' (net/mtr)
--->  Upgrading 'mtr-nox11-0.69' to 'mtr-0.71' (net/mtr)
--->  Building '/usr/ports/net/mtr'
[...]
-=-

And then proceeds to try and slurp over a mtr package (which obviously
doesn't exist)  Is there any way I can tell it (preferably in
pkgtools.conf) to not try and detect a name change, and just pull over
the mtr-nox11-0.71.tgz package I already compiled?

The other roadblock is that I want to keep a /usr/ports/local directory
for some internal packages I am testing out.  I have already generated a
 /usr/ports/Makefile.local w/:

-=-
# Adding local ports dir
.if ${.CURDIR:M*/ports}
SUBDIR += local
.endif
-=-

to add the local category, and have generated the ports index via 'make
index'  Is there a command to compress the INDEX file (I didn't see an
option in /usr/ports/Makefile) as it's done on the FTP servers.

Also, if I am only installing packages (and using 'portupgrade -PP') on
the downstream boxes, should I be able to only have to pull over
ports-base, and let portupdate use the INDEX.db to determine if a port
needs updating?

Thanks in advance - Peter