rc.d/compat5x running too late

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Fri May 19 17:35:23 UTC 2006

Doug Barton wrote:
> Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > upgraded one of the machines I administer from 5.4 to 6.1, made sure the
> > compat5x package is installed and compat5x_enable=YES set in rc.conf.
>
> If you've installed the compat5x port to avoid having to rebuild your ports,
> that is (as you've discovered) not the best strategy. Your best bet is to
> rebuild your ports, as you will not only pick up library updates, but also
> new startup scripts that will take account of the fact that 6.1 has the
> local_startup modifications to rc.d. Also, make sure that when you deinstall
> your ports that /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ does not contain any old startup
> scripts, or symlinks to old scripts.

Doug,

I am aware of that and already rebuilt most of the ports (they were
pretty old anyway) but this is just a minor glitch I'm sure other people
have and will run into.

I frequently used the compat4x and compat5x ports to band-aid major
version upgrades, so the service downtime is minimized. Just wanted to
point out that something is fishy with the rcorder of the compat
scripts.

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: 20FEE9DD				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: AEC9 AF5E 01AC 4EE1 8F70  6CBD E76E 2227 20FE E9DD