Attn. "Helmut Schneider" <jumper99@gmx.de>

Ion-Mihai IOnut Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 19 05:52:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, 18 May 2006 23:32:06 +0200
Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:

> As I can inject my message directly to GMX, I'm Cc'ing Helmut Schneider.

Thank you.

> Ion-Mihai "IOnut" Tetcu <itetcu at freebsd.org> writes:
>
> > gmx.de stupidly blocks mails from guys with @freebsd.org emails :)
> >
> >  freebsd.org descriptive text "v=spf1 ip4:216.136.204.119 ~all"
> > means that listed ip is _NOT_ the only one legitimate SMTP server for freebsd.org.
> >
> > This last shit is nothing new as, in my experience, gmx.de is one of the

As someone you I should thank pointed out on private, I used
inappropriate language in the sentence above; this is because I faulty
translated from my own language where, like in French, one of the
synonyms is considered OK.

Please accept my apologies for this.

> > worse administered email servers. You might want to change your email
> > address to some other service, with at least half-competent admins.
>
> Wrong- the downstream is free to decide what to make of SPF information.
>
> GMX are responsive compared to other freemailers such as web.de which
> are utter crap.

In _my_ experience their default is, more or less: everyone outside our
network is suspect, anyone outside the half on Germany we like should
be blocked. I don't think this attitude is the right one, but, of
course, it's everyone right to accept mail or not; one still expects
mails to postmaster and other RFC addresses to be answered.

To make it short, I have long renounced to have anything to do with
them, either for myself or my customers.

 [ GMX anti-spam settings info ]

Thank you, I will take the liberty to point anyone questioning about
GMX to this email.

> > <jumper99 at gmx.de>: host mx0.gmx.net[213.165.64.100] said: 550-5.7.1 {mx021} The
> >     recipient does not accept mails from 'FreeBSD.org' over foreign
> >     mailservers. 550-5.7.1 According to the domain's SPF record your host
> >     '81.196.204.98' is not a designated sender. 550 5.7.1 (
> >     http://www.gmx.net/serverrules ) (in reply to RCPT TO command)
>
> And this looks like the "Spamserver-Blocker" in action.
>
> Personally, I have both The Spamserver Blocker and currently also the
> Global Antispam list off. I might turn the latter back on some day
> though, if traffic becomes too much to handle for after-the-fact
> filtering.

Personally I relay on mail/dspam for spam filtering. It serve me and my
clients very well, with something like Overall Accuracy: 99.40%

BOFH excuse #86:
Runt packets