New category: geography

Sam Lawrance boris at brooknet.com.au
Fri May 19 02:29:54 UTC 2006

On 19/05/2006, at 7:58 AM, Pav Lucistnik wrote:

> Sam Lawrance píše v čt 18. 05. 2006 v 20:41 +1000:
>
>> I would like to create a new category "geography", encompassing the
>> following types of ports:
>>
>> - Mapping - editing, viewing, format conversion (eg. graphics/
>> jumpgis)
>> - Geographic information systems and utilities (eg. databases/
>> postgis)
>> - GPS applications (eg. astro/gpsman)
>> - Weather (eg. astro/gdesklets-goodweather)
>> - Other software/services related to location (eg. net/GeoIP)
>
> Excuse me, pal, but how exactly does weather fit into a geographical
> applications?
>
> Sounds more like a deskutils type of business. And, of course, it's
> rather fine where it's now, in astro.

Let me explain, buddy.

Since geography is related to the physical features of the earth and
its atmosphere, I think it fits quite neatly.

An application that tells you about the weather is not an
astronomical utility.  Deskutils would be a worse choice, it's the
"misc" of the desktop world.

Cheers :-)
Sam