New category - ports/packages specific tools?

Vasil Dimov vd at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 16 06:07:06 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 11:28:16PM +0100, Shaun Amott wrote:
> There are lots of nifty tools in ports for handling ports and packages.
> It would be nice if they were all in one, easy to find place.
>
> I think there are enough of these kind of ports to warrant a new
> category. What does everyone think about this?
>
> I'm not sure on a name yet -- "freebsd", "ports", "tools", and
> "portutils" are my initial ideas.

I like the idea for such a category.

IMHO the power of a lot of ports-tree management tools is unused
and lost just because they are unknown to the users. Having such
a category one can easily answer the question "How can I tweak my
ports tree, and use its full potential?" by just looking the ports
inside that category.

What about "ports-mgmt"?

P.S. Pav: from the 61 currently existing categories 26 (43%) have less
than 100 ports and 9 (15%) are smaller than the suggested one.

--
Vasil Dimov
gro.DSBeerF at dv

Testing can show the presence of bugs, but not their absence.
                -- Edsger W. Dijkstra