freeradius starts before mysql

Duane Whitty duane at greenmeadow.ca
Sun May 14 05:50:24 UTC 2006

Mike Jakubik wrote:
> The freeradius ports rc.d script fails to take in to account mysql
> (when compiled with support for it), and starts up before mysql does,
> and of course it fails when it cant connect. I tried adding "mysql" to
> the REQUIRE line, but that seems to have no effect. Does anyone know
> how the script can be modified to accomplish this? Below is the
> original script.
>
> ---
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # PROVIDE: radiusd
> # REQUIRE: NETWORKING SERVERS
> # BEFORE: DAEMON
> # KEYWORD: shutdown

Hi Mike,

Sorry for my earlier botched attempt :)

I verified that according to rc(8) scripts in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d are processed in alphabetical
order (lexicographical is the word I couldn't recall originally).

I did some testing.

I created a script /usr/local/etc/rc.d/xxxserver

with the lines

# PROVIDE: xxxserver
# REQUIRE: NETWORKING SERVERS
# BEFORE: DAEMON
# KEYWORD: shutdown

and I modified /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server with

# REQUIRE: xxxserver
# BEFORE: DAEMON

With this I caused xxxserver to run before mysql.

It doesn't  -- seem -- to adversely effect mysql to start earlier
in the boot sequence than it normally would

I did test all of the above with a reboot.

If in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/freeradius you change # REQUIRE: NETWORKING
SERVERS to

REQUIRE: mysql

and in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server you change

# REQUIRE: LOGIN to # REQUIRE: NETWORKING SERVERS
and add

# BEFORE: DAEMON

Then mysql should get started before freeradius.

I'd test this out for you but as I said in my earlier off-list message
I don't have freeradius installed.

Best Wishes

Duane Whitty
duane at greenmeadow.ca