isc-dhcp3-server-3.0.4

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sat May 13 19:11:13 UTC 2006

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 01:26:34PM -0500, Jimmy F. Johns wrote:
> My Windows clients no longer can get dhcp leases from my FreeBSD box, running
> isc-dhcp3-server-3.0.4 -- since the port upgrade May 7.  Windows box sends
> DHCP DISCOVER, FreeBSD issues DHCP OFFER, then another DISCOVER, another
> OFFER, etc.
>
> Ethereal on the Windows side shows only one issue:  the lease-time (Option
> 51) "isn't 4 bytes."
>
> The TEN bytes Ethereal highlights are:
>
> 33 08 00 00 ea 60 00 00 00 00
>
> "ea60" is my 60,000-second default lease time.  Some obvious screw-up on my
> part?  Or would anyone need dmesg, ifconfig, dhcpd.conf,  dhcpd.leases, etc.,
> to tell?

You're not the first person to report this.  There's been numerous
reports of it here on freebsd-ports, and it's always between ISC dhcpd
3.0.4 and Windows machines.  This time around, however, I really don't
think Windows is to blame (especially since 3.0.3 works).

I've yet to see anything about what the actual cause is (is it a
FreeBSD port problem, or is it something in ISC's dhcpd which got
changed?).

I haven't upgraded to 3.0.4 on my LAN, and to be quite honest, I
doubt I'm going to until this can be tracked down and solved.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.                             |