FreeBSD Port: phpMyAdmin-2.8.0.3

Frank Laszlo laszlof at vonostingroup.com
Sat May 13 15:24:57 UTC 2006

fbsd wrote:
> I am tired by being called a troll by you people.
> I report the fact that the phpMyAdmin package is broken
> and you folks turn this in to being my fault.
> What the hell is wrong with you.

Don't verbally attack people who are trying to help you, and you wont be
called a troll. phpMyAdmin isn't broken, its used by THOUSANDS of
people, it is infact in use on my system right now, and I have no
problems with it.

> The fact still remains that the phpMyAdmin package is broken
> because it calls for pdflib and pdflib is marked as broken.
> Also the package will only use php4 and mysql4.
> There should be a php5/mysql5 package version.

Ok, so submit a patch to fix it? If you want a php5/mysql5 version,
create a metaport to do it, quit complaining to people who volunteer to
maintain these ports, they have no obligation to fix your personal
problems.
> How in the world can this be my fault?

No one said its your fault, you are verbally attacking people who are
trying to help you, thats no way to handle things.

> You took me down the road of a work around using the ports.

The ports are there for people to use, its your choice to use them or not.
> All this did was point out that there is problems with how pkgs and
> ports work together.

Yes, there are problems with using packages/ports together. One problem
being the amount of time it takes to actually build a full set of
packages, by the time the entire package tree is built, new versions
have come out.
> I am not interested in playing with the complete ports system on my
> box.

Well thats too bad then, But dont expect to get much help when you run
into problems. it sounds like your /usr/ports/Mk/* are out of date
anyways, but that's been said, and you disregarded the suggestions.
> Any of you who think the requirement of installing the complete
> ports system on your box is the way to manage ports have something
> wrong in your head. The ports system is growing at 200 ports a
> month.  Where do you draw the line at this method having out lived
> its usefulness. The package system is the solution in the long run
> and sooner or later this fact will be forced on you by the sheer
> size of the ports system.

There you go verbally attacking people again, continue on your troll
legacy. Yes, the ports tree is growing very fast, unfortunately when it
was originally designed, a lot of corners were cut to make it easier to
maintain AT THE TIME. Now that it has grown to such a large number of
ports, even small changes can have large effects. Binary packages are
NOT a good replacement. It would be impossible to build all the ports
into packages with ALL the options possible, there would just be far too
many of them to actively keep up with the development cycle.
> At no time did any of you try the phpmyadmin package to
> prove it worked and thus prove me wrong.
> So shut your collective pie hole.
> Your credibility as people who know the ports/package system
> has been proven by your posts to be false.
> Not one of you tried the package in question or offered to fix it.
> Calling me a troll is your way of not address the original problem.

Your credibility as a troll is growing with every line you type. What
have YOU contributed to this project? Lets see some of your PRs? How
about a patch to fix this "problem" you have found?
> You missed the point of my original post from the get go.
> You should start reading at the beginning of this thread and
> see how foolish your post have been when all that was stated
> is that the phpmyadmin package don't work.

I have read the entire post, and see you are still verbally attacking
people, drop the attitude, or find yourself on the killfile of all the
helpful people on this project. Myself included.
> So I end it here.
>
> Fix the phpMyAdmin package or not is up to you.
>
> Take to heart the other problems I pointed out with the php5
> and php4 ports/pkg and fix them or not.
>
> I can not correspond with you prima donna's any longer,
> it's just a waste of my time.

In the time you spent ranting about this, you could have submitted a
patch, or filed a bug report the PROPER way. not bitch about it on a
public list. You said you have been using freebsd since 3.x or so, if
you have infact been using it this long, it seems you would know how to
use send-pr(1) and also know the ramifications of using a partially
updated ports tree.

Regards,
    Frank