FreeBSD Port: phpMyAdmin-2.8.0.3

fbsd fbsd at a1poweruser.com
Fri May 12 14:08:19 UTC 2006


Ok James here is the log of what I did following your instructions.
I ran the pkg for php5 & mysql5 then port phpMyAdmin

pkg_add -rv php5
pkg_add -rv mysql50-server

mysql-client-5.0.18_1 Multithreaded SQL database (client)
mysql-server-5.0.18_2 Multithreaded SQL database (server)
php5-5.1.2_1          PHP Scripting Language (Apache Module and CLI)


# /usr/ports/databases/phpmyadmin >make install clean

You may use the following additional build option:

    WITH_SUPHP=yes   Install appropriately for use with
                     the www/suphp port [default: no]

Note that selecting the MYSQLI option will only work
with PHP5 and MySQL 4.1.x
This port requires the Apache Module or the CGI version of PHP, but
you have
already installed a PHP port without them.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/databases/phpmyadmin.
# /usr/ports/databases/phpmyadmin >


Installing php5 and mysql5 first does not work like you say.


-----Original Message-----
From: James O'Gorman [mailto:james at netinertia.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 8:53 AM
To: fbsd at a1poweruser.com
Cc: ports at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: FreeBSD Port: phpMyAdmin-2.8.0.3


fbsd wrote:
> As I plainly stated in my original post
>
> "THE PKG VERSION INSTALLS OLDER VERSIONS OF PHP4 & MYSQL4
> PLUS THE PDFLIB DEPENDANT IS MARKED AS BROKEN WHICH CAUSES
> THE PKG VERSION OF PHPMYADMIN NOT TO WORK.
>
> I am a normal non-technical user of the ports system.
> As documented in the handbook I expect the port to
> offer chooses during the install for add on software
> or what versions of dependants to select.
>
> No where does it say the versions of port dependants
> can be selected by pre-installing the version of
> the dependant ports you want?

Yes, but in this case the port does not need to offer a choice as it
configures itself based on your current system. If you have MySQL 4,
it
uses that. If you have MySQL 5, then it uses that. If neither are
installed, it uses a *default* of MySQL 4.

As other people have said, you can manipulate this by installing
MySQL 5
*first*.

> Also the handbook does not say that pkg installs and
> port installs can not be used together. I find what you
> posted is not true. I installed the mysql5 & php5 packages
> and then because the phpMyAdmin pkg would no accept them
> I tried the phpMyAdmin port and it said that mysql & php
> port were not installed when they really where as packages.

Packages and ports can be used together. However, packages merely
use
*defaults* set by the port Makefile. As I said above, this
particular
port defaults to MySQL 4 if you have no MySQL installed.

Because the package is built on a cluster that has absolutely no
interactivity, it builds packages based entirely on defaults, so the
phpMyAdmin *package* will require MySQL 4 because the package build
cluster defaulted to that version.

If you really want phpMyAdmin to use PHP5 and MySQL 5, install MySQL
5
and PHP 5 from packages, and then install phpMyAdmin from ports. It
will
just magically work!

> As I stated before, the port version of phpMyAdmin behaves
> like it only checks the /usr/ports directory tree to determine
> if dependants are all ready installed instead of checking the
> pkg_info database like other ports do.
> What about addressing this bug?
>
> I am at a lose to understand why all the replies to this
> post beat around the bush with unclear replies and
> ignoring the basic questions asked in the org post.

They're not unclear, you just obviously don't understand the ports
system well enough yet.

> What is wrong with just saying the phpMyAdmin port and pkg
> will be fixed in x number of days and that I will receive
> an email informing me when they are ready to be used?

Try the above and you'll see that it doesn't need fixing.
If you want to make your own phpMyAdmin package that uses PHP 5 and
MySQL 5, follow my instructions above, and then do `make package`
from
the phpMyAdmin port directory.

James



More information about the freebsd-ports mailing list