tomcat55 port on AMD64

Frank Laszlo laszlof at vonostingroup.com
Thu May 11 17:33:36 UTC 2006

Boris Samorodov wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:08:19 -0400 Frank Laszlo wrote:
>
>> Boris Samorodov wrote:

>>> Seems that this problem shouldn't exist since updating of the port to
>>> use new bsd.linux-rpm.mk.
>>>

>> You would think so, but the fact of the matter is, ARCH should be a
>> READONLY variable. It is relied upon heavily in the ports framework and
>> shouldn't be changed, ever. Why we don't just use another variable name
>> to do the trickery is what I am wondering.
>>

> Argh, yes. You are right. It do have problems with current default
> port linux_base-8. I'm using linux_base-fc3 for a long time and get
> used to it too much.
>

> WBR

It looks like linux_base-fc3 is basically doing what my patch was
intended for, renaming the poor use of ARCH to something else
(LINUX_RPM_ARCH) so that we are not overwriting such an important
variable. But it does still have this for some reason:

.if (${ARCH} == "amd64")
LATEST_LINK:=           ${LATEST_LINK:C/linux/linux32/}
ARCH=                   i386
.endif

I'm not really sure what purpose that serves, as ARCH isn't used
anywhere in the Makefile. perhaps I am missing something from
bsd.linux-rpm.mk.

-Frank