HEADS UP for maintainers of web applications

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 11 09:22:49 UTC 2006

Doug Barton píše v čt 11. 05. 2006 v 02:17 -0700:
> Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> > Hi people,
> >
> > it will soon become mandatory to stop installing web applications into
> > Apache specific directories, like ${PREFIX}/www/data,
> > ${PREFIX}/www/cgi-bin etc.
>
> How did those directories become "apache specific," and where was that
> decision and the prohibitive policy discussed and agreed to?

www/data and www/cgi-bin comes from the Apache distributions.
Other web servers does not necessarily use these directories.
Our localbase mtree only contains www.

I believe this decision was made by Apache port maintainer (clement)
some months ago. It's not documented in Porter's Handbook, yet, because
clement is promising me docs for new USE_APACHE framework ever since he
committed it.

Only now it started to hurt us, because of recent php port changes.

> > All web applications should be now installed into ${PREFIX}/www/appname.
>
> Why? What benefit does this give us, and what was the cost of doing it the
> way it's been done for a long time already?

It gives us consistency. Up until now, every maintainer installed the
files where they seemed fit. With this policy, user can reasonably
expect to find newly installed app in predictable place.

It gives us independency from Apache.  People may want to use their web
apps on top of lighttpd or any other web server.

And, most importantly for me, it fixes pkg-plist fallout from recent php
change.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

A two-eyed cyclops would be a bicyclops.