ports structure -- problem with pkgtools.conf

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue May 9 20:50:51 UTC 2006

At 10:31 AM -0500 5/9/06, Scot Hetzel wrote:

>The problem with pkgtools.conf (and all the other port
>management tools) is that it only works for the port
>that you are currently building.  If that port has
>dependancies, the settings in pkgtools.conf for the
>dependancies are not applied to the dependent port.
>Instead you need to build the dependent ports first.
>
>Where as putting the variable into make.conf, will
>allow the dependent port to always build with that
>setting.

Hmm.

I don't think I have been bitten by this, but then I
usually do a 'portupgrade -Rr -n' check on whatever I
want to build, so I can see what dependencies need to
be rebuilt first.  Is this really a problem that other
people have hit frequently?

Seems to me I have hit occasions where portupgrade
did not seem to catch some dependency, but that
dependency was in fact built when I went to build
my original target-port.  But I forget in what
circumstances that has come up.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu