ports structure and improvement suggestions

Aaron Dalton aaron at freebsd.org
Tue May 9 15:38:43 UTC 2006

Sideris Michael wrote:
> On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 02:14:02PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
>

> to improve things. Bored and irresponsible people should be vanished in my opinion
> cause they are a cancer for a project like FreeBSD. And it is really sad to hear
> that the port maintainers are bored to modify the Makefiles. And it even more awful
> to hear that even if the current Makefiles are modified, there is no way to ensure
> this for future ports. Unacceptable.

I have a problem with words like "bored" and "irresponsible."  As a
committer myself who has a profound respect for the FreeBSD project and
a great desire to be a greater part of it, I have to also contend with a
thing called life.  This is a volunteer, unpaid effort.  New jobs, new
children, family emergencies, other volunteer duties, all of these take
away from the time many of us would like to spend on FreeBSD projects.
I'm not trying to "dis" you or anything, but the best way you can help
is to first take maintainership of some ports and get your hands dirty,
see how things work and flow.  Submit pr's for things you think need to
be changed.  As Pav said, "this code doesn't write itself."  Feel free
to jump in.  Many hands make light work.

Cheers!
--
Aaron Dalton
aaron at FreeBSD.org