ports structure and improvement suggestions

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon May 8 22:40:15 UTC 2006

Sideris Michael wrote:

> So, more or less you suggest to leave it in the chaotic situation it is now.
> Sorry but i disagree.

No, I'm suggesting that what you see as chaos isn't.

If there are no KNOBS or OPTIONS required for a port (and there are many
like that), then why would you want to force all ports to have them?  Do
you really want to display an empty screen just for "uniformity's" sake?

There are times when OPTIONS is appropriate.  There are times when it is
definitely not.  There is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all port
structure.  I have ports that compile and ports that simply unzip and
install.  I have ports that require OPTIONS because the user has to
decide between two different database types, and I have ports that have
no OPTIONS or KNOBS at all because there's absolutely nothing to do.

Furthermore, I may want to *force* a use to use a KNOB because I know
that, if I don't, it won't compile correctly.  Or I may want to use
OPTIONS because I *don't* want to force the user to use a specific
version of something.

That isn't chaos.  That's flexibility.

Start maintaining some ports and you will quickly understand what I'm
saying.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer