ports structure and improvement suggestions

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Mon May 8 21:14:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 10:23:26PM +0200, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> Sideris Michael pí?e v po 08. 05. 2006 v 23:09 +0300:
>
> > Also, it would be nice to include tools like portupgrade, not
> > portupgrade, in the base system.
>
> Yes, it would be nice.  You're going to write it?  It must be in shell
> or in C.  Expecting patches.

	... .

> The conclusion is: the code will not write by itself.
>
> Nice.
>
> It should not be necessary once we have OPTIONS everywhere, but, what
> about a script that would emulate Gentoo's emerge -pv ? That would rock.

	This is likely to start a flame war, or at least a spit-ball
	fight.  I hope not....  Some months ago after using RedHat's
	update stuff, a few people seemed a bit upset at my enthusiasm.
	Since then RH got greedy and stopped their free or cheapware
	approach  and I eventually found the next best altrnative to
	FBSD: Ubuntu.  Among their ``idiotware'' apps is a GUI front end
	to their apt-get  stuff.  In 11 months of use, I've managened to
	keep 2 Ubuntu systems current with a few mouseclicks a month.

	Nutshell, is there a way of using this approach?  If not,
	is there a way of perl- or /bin/sh- or /bin/ch- bundling
	portupgrade  with pkgdb, and other upgrade programs to get
	something more rational working?  Most of the times that
	portupgrade screws up, it is due to a build failure.  Sometimes
	it's easy to figure out why the build failed; when it is a
	./configure snafu, it's always hours of time backtracing.
	Time N failed builds.  ...Too much.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix