An autoconf bikeshed

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 6 09:22:12 UTC 2006

Lyndon Nerenberg píše v pá 05. 05. 2006 v 20:11 -0600:
> On Sat, 6 May 2006, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
>
> > It's also no longer imake, but autotools based.
>
> That is *not* an improvement!
>
> Have you noticed how autoconf has become such a bloated twisted mass of
> goo that it now needs its own configuration tool?  It has become a parody
> of itself.
>
> This is not progress.

One major advantage of using autotools over imake is that now you can
paralellize the build using make -jX flags. You can't with imake.
That's essentially cutting the compile times in half on dual-core
computers.

One major drawback of using autotools is that every distfile grows about
250 kB of repeated code. With modular X, that's a lot of bytes to
transfer.

As for developers use, I'd say much more people today are familiar with
autotools then with imake. Imake is a dying beast. Going with mainstream
is always good to get more people involved.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

Autumn changed into Winter ... Winter changed into Spring ...  Spring
changed back into Autumn and Autumn gave Winter and Spring a miss and went
straight on into Summer