Weirdness with Xorg, x11/nvidia-driver and GLX

Alejandro Pulver alepulver at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 4 23:08:57 UTC 2006

On Thu, 04 May 2006 22:41:18 +0200
Jona Joachim <jaj13 at web.de> wrote:

> Hi!
> I don't know if the following behavior is normal or not.
> The second but last time the xorg-server port was updated and I
> installed the new version it crashed every time I wanted to use an
> OpenGL application. The first time I noticed this was when I wanted to
> play games/linux-enemyterritory but later on I saw that it happened
> with any OpenGL application, even a simple call to glxinfo had the
> same effect. The result was always the same: the screen switched to
> ttyv0 without killing Xorg and it freezed like that. The only thing
> to which it reacted were ACPI calls (i.e. it shutted down properly
> when I hit the power button).
> I rebuilt the nvidia-driver just to see if it changes something or if
> I see something strange things during the compilation. I was
> astonished to see that after having done this everything worked fine
> again just like before. I thought that this was something that
> happened once due to mysterious circumstances and would never happen
> again so I forgot about it. However when the Xorg port was updated
> once again yesterday I saw that exactly the same problem happened
> again. This time it was also solved by rebuilding nvidia-driver.
>
> My graphics card is an NVidia GeForce 5200 FX
> Version of nvidia-driver: 1.0.8178_1
> Version of xorg-server: 6.9.0_3
>
> uname -a
> FreeBSD 10.0.0.11 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #0: Mon Mar 27
> 17:05:15 CEST 2006
> root at 10.0.0.11:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HYPOCENTER  i386

Hello.

This happens because the port x11/nvidia-driver renames the OpenGL
library and X11 module installed by Xorg and installs the NVidia ones.
When it's deinstalled, it removes the files and renames back the Xorg
files.

The problem is that when you update the Xorg port (x11/xorg-libraries)
you force its deinstallation, so it removes the NVidia OpenGL libraries
and X11 module (without removing NVidia drivers first) and replaces it
with the Xorg one (without installing NVidia drivers after).

The crash happens because of the nvidia.ko kernel module, that expects
you are using the NVidia OpenGL libraries and X11 module.

So just reinstall nvidia-driver driver after upgrading xorg-libraries
as you were doing so far. Alternatively you could remove nvidia-driver,
update xorg-libraries and install nvidia-driver after that.

Best Regards,
Ale