Upgrade Tool

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu May 4 19:23:30 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 03:15:12PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 11:39:36AM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:

> > > In FreeBSD land these are called "slave ports", and you can have as
> > > many as you like.  I don't have any interest in adding a separate
> > > "flavour" system in parallel to this.
> >
> > With MPI based parallel code there are times where I think a flavor
> > system might scale better, but I haven't done the work to expose the
> > non-scaling yet.  The problem is that we've got ~5 versions of MPI
> > in the tree, but each one of those really should be buildable with
> > different C and Fortran compilers so you could easily see 50+ MPIs.
> > Multiple each applicaiton by that and things get crazy. :)
>
> Do all combinations really need packages?  With or without flavours
> you wouldn't even think about building packages for all possible
> combinations of build options for a port.

All combinations don't need packages, but I'd like an easy way to build
as many as half a dozen versions on the same machine so users can use
the compiler and MPI version of their choice.  At this point the easiest
way to handle that would be to build non-conflicting slave ports for the
combinations I wanted but that starts to waste a lot of inodes pretty
fast.

Another option that could work for me would be to make it easier to
maintain a local ports category so I could have my own slave ports.

-- Brooks