databases/postgresql81-server - dangerous init script

[LoN]Kamikaze LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de
Tue Mar 28 18:58:54 UTC 2006

Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 08:34:32PM +0200, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
>> The rc.d script for this port contains a new style script, but follows
>> the old naming conventions, which will cause it to be executed directly
>> sourced into the boot shell, which is an unnecessary risk, since it
>> means that booting will fail if the script exits.
>
> Actually, in this case, the manpage is wrong.  Only scripts in /etc/rc.d
> that end in .sh not all scripts ending in .sh are sourced.  That said,
> ports should be fixed to install without the .sh suffix so we can eventually
> remove the special case (should there be any point.)
>
> -- Brooks

Well, that's what you get when you trust a manpage (somehow that makes
me remember the UNIX Haters Handbook).
That leads to the question what sourcing a script into the boot shell
gains us that makes it worth the risk?
Triggering it by a naming convention also looks like a leftover from the
old system. Doing this with a KEYWORD would seem more consistent to me
and increase the probability that the script author knew what he was doing.