Startup at boot problem

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri Mar 24 15:18:01 UTC 2006

--On Friday, March 24, 2006 20:17:23 +1100 Sam Lawrance
<lawrance at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 24/03/2006, at 6:10 AM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>
>> I'm working on a new port that uses tcl scripting rather than
>> compiled binaries.  The startup script works fine except at boot.
>> During the boot, I get this error message:
>> "exec: tclsh8.4: not found"
>>
>> The script has the following in the "header" section:
>> # PROVIDE: sensor_agent
>> # REQUIRE: LOGIN tclsh8.4
>> # BEFORE: LOGIN
>> # KEYWORD: FreeBSD shutdown
>>
>> Is there some other word I can use in REQUIRE that will allow
>> tclsh8.4 to be found?
>
> I think you've misunderstood what REQUIRE is meant to do (it's not  for
> specifying dependencies like a port does with *_DEPENDS). See the  man
> page for rcorder.

Hmm...I'm pretty sure I know what REQUIRE means.  It means that you don't
want your script to start until the REQUIREd items have been started.

I solved the problem by using the full path in the script.  Originally it
had "exec tclsh8.4".  I patched it to have "exec /usr/local/bin/tclsh8.4",
and it starts fine on boot now.   Obviously PATH didn't have /usr/local/bin
in it at the time the script was being initiated.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/