Port Maintainer?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri Mar 17 02:09:21 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 05:49:17PM -0800, Chris Maness wrote:
> How does a person go about finding out if a port is being maintained?

The canonical answer is cd <portname>;make maintainer but I only include
that for completeness since you probably already know that.

To find out if it is being _actively_ maintained, you can pull up the
GNATS search page, enter the category/portname, and click 'closed reports
too'.  Also, checking the CVS web page will reveal information.

portsmon only keeps track of current PRs and ignores closed ones but you
can at least see if there is a backlog.  portsmon's algorithm for assigning
PR to portname is far better than using the GNATS search, which depends on
submitters correctly inserting the category/portname into the Synopsis.

> or if the maintainer seems to be asleep at the wheel, what is the most
> tactful way to wake him up?  I have tried e-mailing the maintainer with
> no results.

The correct thing to do is this case is to email portmgr at FreeBSD.org off-list
and it's our duty to find out what's going on.

mcl