How to deal with large number of patches in a port?

Frank Laszlo laszlof at vonostingroup.com
Thu Mar 16 23:49:40 UTC 2006

James O'Gorman wrote:
> Hi Thierry,
>
> On 16/3/06 21:25, Thierry Thomas wrote:
>> Le Jeu 16 mar 06 à 22:09:40 +0100, James O'Gorman
>> <james at netinertia.co.uk>
>>  écrivait :
>>> Hi,
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> I'm about to update a port I maintain (sysutils/boxbackup), but due
>>> to the upstream software not currently being PREFIX-clean, I have a
>>> large number of patches (29 patches in total) I need to apply to the
>>> source tree. The majority of them are fairly small (just a few
>>> lines), but some of them are a bit larger.
>>
>> In such a case, perhaps could it be possible to fix PREFIX with sed
>> (REINPLACE_CMD)?
>
> The majority of the patches are correcting hard-coded references to
> perl - replacing it with @PERL@ so that autoconf then replaces it with
> the true location of the perl executable.
>
> Perhaps something like:
>
> ${REINPLACE_CMD} -e 's,#!/usr/bin/perl,#!${PERL},' \
>     ${WRKSRC}/file1 \
>     ${WRKSRC}/file2 \
>     ${WRKSRC}/file3
>
> would be better?
>
> James

I tend to think that #!/usr/bin/perl is fine. This is the location of
the perl binary on most systems, and as Thierry said, REINPLACE_CMD
would be better for this anyways. I usually do not use PATCH_SITES
unless its a vender patch, and not a freebsd specific patch. freebsd
specific patches belong in files/ in my opinion. Hope this helps.

-Frank