When to send links to messages (Re: java/phpeclipse)

Mikhail Teterin mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com
Thu Mar 16 19:22:58 UTC 2006

четвер 16 березень 2006 14:07, Tobias Roth Ви написали:
> So your suggestion is that mailing lists should only send out links to
> archived copies instead of sending the actual messages?

If a would-be message's body exceeds certain size it becomes an article, an
essay, or a book.

Such articles should be posted as web-pages, and links to them (possibly
accompanied with brief digests) can then be circulated on mailing lists.

That's my opinion. See also "Excessively Large".

To help determine that "certain size", I offer the following simple rule. If
the size of a would-be message exceeds the message-sending overhead (such as
headers) by a factor of 10 or more, it is "excessive".

This benchmark is aproximate and the size of the audience should be considered
too.

Yours,

	-mi