portmanager confusion

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Tue Mar 14 06:47:36 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 07:14:40PM -1000 I heard the voice of
Randy Bush, and lo! it spake thus:
> > They both update the ports tree. The difference is the time needed
> > to do it.
>
> in this case, my head time is more critical than the computer's
> time.  i can actually get some work done during the cvsup!  but i
> will try to get around to catching up with more recent updating
> tools.

On the flip side, I use CVSup to maintain a local CVS mirror, which I
update nightly.  The nightly run takes about a minute, barring times
with particularly large changes (like tagging/branching a release).
Doing just a checkout of ports would probably take less, done
regularly.  Of course, when left unupdated for longer periods of time,
things can get kinda backed up...

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net