portsupgrade cvsup refuse file aware?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sat Mar 11 17:44:33 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 10:40:54PM +1030, Aluminium Oxide wrote:
> > > How much better would it be, if pkgdb had a flag to permit the parsing
> > > of the refuse file, and honouring the ports tree resulting from cvsup as
> > > produced by it?
> > >
> > > Can we do this?
> >
> >Not really, this has been discussed many times.
> >
> > Kris
>
> Why not?

Executive Summary: partial ports trees don't work.

Longer Summary: until and unless we (portmgr) wants to enforce a new rule
that limits inter-category ports dependencies, there is no way to know
which category is a "leaf category" and thus may be safely trimmed, and
thus will be able to make a consistent INDEX.  Trying to deal with people
who have failed to create INDEX is an ongoing, frustrating, and ultimately
useless task, and it's much easier just to tell everybody to have complete
ports trees.

The last *three* times I have asked for a show of hands, "who wants a new
enforceable portmgr policy to restrict dependencies in certain categories",
I have received a deafening silence (no replies at all).  Yes, this topic
has been discussed at least three times.  As kris hinted, see the archives.

mcl