Excessive startup times following libtool upgrade

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Sat Mar 11 03:40:31 UTC 2006

Ade Lovett wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2006, at 01:45 , Peter Jeremy wrote:
>
>> I have rebuilt gnucash following the libtool upgrade (admittedly, I
>> had to downgrade guile to avoid an slib problem).  After which gnucash
>> takes 15 minutes of system time to start (it used to take about a
>> minute), issuing a ridiculous number of syscalls (30K/sec).  I've done
>> some poking around with ktrace and gdb and believe that the problem is
>> libtool trying to load shared libraries.
>
> This appears to be something unique to gnucash -- I've looked at some
> other libltdl-using ports, and they don't exhibit the same behavior.
>
> Best bet is to contact the gnucash developers to see what they have to say.

I've noticed the same behavior (long startup times)...

I've spoken to some of them, informally on IRC.  Mentioned this issue...
they of course asked my platform.... and responded with "Oh, I should've
guessed".  They said it was a known issue and that it was FreeBSD
specific.  Their guess was that it had to do with how shared objects
were being opened multiple times.  Sounds like a good guess given
Peter's findings.

In any case...  Just thought I'd mention what I heard.  No idea if the
folks I spoke to were any authority on the development of gnucash or
not... They were simply in the gnucash channel.

> -aDe

Regards,
Eric