linux-opera start script

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Thu Jun 22 13:23:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:49:33 +0300 Andriy Gapon wrote:

> I am getting the following message, probably completely harmless,  when
> I start linux-opera:

> $ linux-opera
> sh: error while loading shared libraries:
> /usr/local/lib/compat/libtermcap.so.2: ELF file ABI version invalid

> I see the following lines in linux-opera script:
> # Make sure the compat libraries are found
> test -d /usr/local/lib/compat/ &&
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/usr/local/lib/compat/"

> I am not sure why linux-opera would need /usr/local/lib/compat/, but
> this is how LD_LIBRARY_PATH gets spammed.

Seems I understand what is going on.

It is a side effect of installing linux programms with FreeBSD
environment. Install.sh script of linux-opera port has function
guess_os() with:
-----
    os=`uname -s` || error 'uname'
    case $os in
        FreeBSD|NetBSD) os=AnyBSD;;
        SunOS*) os=SunOS;;
    esac
-----

Sure it's the FreeBSD. And later at this script has:
-----
case "${os}" in
        AnyBSD|OpenBSD)
wrapper_contain="${wrapper_contain}

# Make sure the compat libraries are found
test -d /usr/local/lib/compat/ && LD_LIBRARY_PATH=\"\${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/usr/loc
al/lib/compat/\"
"
        ;;
-----

All is OK when Opera is installed as a native package/port. But not
while installing it as a linux port. Upstream developers shouldn't be
bothered by determining the TARGET_OS. ;-)

WBR
--
Boris B. Samorodov, Research Engineer
InPharmTech Co,     http://www.ipt.ru