keeping up with "gnu-libtool -> libtool15"

Csaba Henk csaba-ml at creo.hu
Tue Jun 20 06:26:08 UTC 2006

Hi,

The devel/gnu-libtool port has been retired, because, as the freshports
page says, "devel/libtool15 is now stock and should be used instead".

Sounds fine, but the paths for the compontents of gnu-libtool and
libtool15 are not the same and this can cause confusion.

    * * *

My particular example is the FUSE library.
Get the latest devel code from Sourceforge (

  cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at fuse.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/fuse login
  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at fuse.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/fuse co -P fuse

) or from my Mercurial mirror (

  hg clone http://mercurial.creo.hu/repos/fuse-hg/
  or
  fetch "http://mercurial.creo.hu/repos/fuse-hg/?ca=tip;type=gz"

), and try to generate configure & co.

The source comes with a utility script for this purpose, and I usually
invoke it on FreeBSD as follows:

  PATH=/usr/local/gnu-autotools/bin:$PATH ./makeconf.sh

Now, after the libtool switch (if you don't have gnu-libtool installed
anymore), this will end up with

  Running libtoolize...
  Running autoreconf...
  configure.in:8: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
        See the Autoconf documentation.
  autoreconf: /usr/local/gnu-autotools/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

How to get around this transparently?

Regards,
Csaba