libtool's raison d'etre (Re: NOT installing the .la files)

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri Jun 16 18:53:55 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 01:09:50PM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> > As far as I am concerned, this needs to end the discussion so we can go
> > back to working on the harder problems.
>
> Is mailing list moderation part of portmgr powers?

No, of course it isn't, as you already well know.

But we (portmgr) have made _a_ decision that in our opinion make maintainance
easier.  I doubt that will make you happy, because you clearly believe we
were better off before.

But this is one of those meta-discussions where the meta-discussion takes
time that isn't going to be productive now that the decision has been made.
Discuss it all you like, but I consider the matter to be resolved and it to
be time to move on to the other hard problems in the Ports Collection.

I restate that portmgr's "authority" is mostly the power of persuasion
except in extreme cases.  We won't be doing any backouts over this one.
We're just going to say "this is another one of our recommendations to
the committers that this is the way that we think is best for ports."

mcl