Good news: Ghostscript goes GPL

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Jun 16 11:18:45 UTC 2006

Greetings,

Artifex have released Ghostscript 8.54 under the GPL, essentially giving
up their split licensing model and the time lag of a year for the GPL
version.

Source: (German language)
<http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/74347>

This now lists 8.54 as current GPL-licensed ghostscript:
<ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/ghost/GPL/current/>

And the release notes confirm this:
<http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=421473&group_id=1897>

Scroll all the way down on this one:
<http://www.ghostscript.com/article/71.html>

Note that the ghostscript ports do not have a maintainer at the moment.
(I don't have more spare time, so I don't plan to take maintainership
for more ports.)

However, a unification of existing ghostscript-{afpl,gpl,gnu} ports into
one (and its -nox11 slave port) may reduce the number of conflicts on
end users's systems.

--
Matthias Andree