HEADS-UP GoogleEarth (Was: Google Earth for Linux works on FreeBSD)

Florent Thoumie flz at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 14 09:53:17 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 18:08 +0900, Ganbold wrote:
> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> > Quoting Ganbold <ganbold at micom.mng.net> (from Wed, 14 Jun 2006
> > 14:12:56 +0900):
> >
> >> Works here with some glitch.
> >> I got one time crash and probably it is not related to FreeBSD. Did
> >> portupgrade few days ago.
> >>
> >> -----------------------------------------------------
> >> gdaemon# googleearth
> >> Google Earth has caught signal 11.
> >>
> >> Stacktrace from glibc:
> >>  ./googleearth-bin(__gxx_personality_v0+0x212) [0x804ab32]
> >>  ./googleearth-bin [0x804b133]
> >>  /lib/libpthread.so.0 [0x29d289ad]
> >>  [0xbfbfffbf]
> >
> >>  /lib/libpthread.so.0 [0x29d22aea]
> >>  /lib/libc.so.6(__clone+0x57) [0x29cc8017]
> >
> > Please tell us the linux_base port and linux-X11 port you use with
> > every bug report.
> Sorry about that. When I installed google-earth from ports there were
> installed following as  a dependency packages:
>
> linux-XFree86-libs-4.3.99.902_7 XFree86 libraries, Linux binary
> linux_base-8-8.0_15 Base set of packages needed in Linux mode (for
> i386/amd64)
> linux_dri-4.4.0     Binary Linux DRI libraries for 3D hardware
> acceleration of
>

> > This may be a problem with the linux base port you are using.
> >
> > If you use any linux_base port different from the default one or from
> > fc4, please deinstall it it and install a "good one".
>
> Which one is "good one" then? I thought it could pick up the good one
> during the installation as a dependency. Maybe I'm wrong here or
> google-earth port should be updated to use good linux_base port.
>
> > If you use fc4, you also have to use the linux-xorg libs instead of
> > the XFree86 ones (you most likely will not have hardware acceleration
> > then, we haven't updated the linux_dri port yet).
>
> Google-earth complained using OpenGL with software emulation.  FYI, I
> have i945G board with integrated graphic card.

I can't really deal with software bugs, but here are a few points that
may be useful to anyone, please read this before sending me bug
reports :

x use linux_base-fc4, this is going to be the default linux_base port
RSN (and linux-xorg-libraries
x if you have a nvidia card, don't forget to define WITH_NVIDIA_GL=yes
somewhere
x read what Alexander writes about linux stuff, he knows what he's
talking about :-)

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at FreeBSD.org