portupgrade ideas page

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Mon Jun 12 23:29:08 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 22:07, Hannes Hauswedell wrote:
> >> 1) i would wish for portupgrade to automatically meet new requirements
> >> upon upgrading. both pkg_add and make install do this, portupgrade
> >> should too.
> >
> > AFAIK portupgrade runs "make install"
>
> when installing from sources, yes. (as i also stated in point 2).
> but when installing from packages it does not.
> that why it says in the man page:
>
> Do a massive network binary upgrade:
> portupgrade -aPPR
>
> else the -R wouldnt make any sense.

I think the manpage is probably wrong. IIRC the -R option is ignored in
combination with -a, unless -F is specified.

Portupgrade uses "pkg_add -f" to install packages. pkg_add  is supposed to
install the missing dependencies itself, but sometimes they are missing in
the repository. Because it uses the "-f" option  pkg_add  is able to proceed
without the missing dependency.  Personally, I think it might be cleaner to
drop the "-f" option and allow the pkg_add  to fail.