formatting tools for Docbook

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Mon Jun 12 20:32:05 UTC 2006

I am aware that there is more than a single set of tools that mgiht
possibly be used to format Xml-docbook into html, pdf, and ascii, so I
want to ask the advice of those FreeBSD'ers who have actually begun
using docbook to format their own personal documents.  You see, I have a
very lnog-term history of usage of Groff-'s MM macros for my document
formatting tasks, but I want to move to a more modern set of tools.
That is specifically (today) docbook-4.[latest], and tomorrow is
docbook-5.[latest].

I really would want, if possible, to avoid using any dsssl-based
toolset.  If there is a toolset that uses only libxml* based tools, that
would really be the best, but I would be willing to consider adding in
Java-based tools.

Once I get it working under Java, you see, I am convinced I coudl (using
a smallish postscript helper file) craft a toolset that no longer needs
Java at all, but I need a working toolset before I can make that jump.
Help me, please!

Again, if you aren;'t using docbook yoursekf, pass this up, please, I
only want to hear from those using the tools themselves, on the FreeBSD
lists.