Long-standing portupgrade vs. make config issue

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Jun 8 22:07:29 UTC 2006

On Jun 8, 2006, at 12:35 , Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 1:58 PM +0200 6/8/06, Matthias Andree wrote:
>>
>> If I am updating (or installing) a port with portupgrade, the OPTIONS
>> ("make config") are prompted twice, once before configuring the port,
>> and once when about to install it.
>>
>> Anyone else observed ... this?
>
> I have never been prompted twice for a given set of
> options.  I do, at times, get prompted for the options
> of one port, answer that screen and walk away, only to
> later see that I was also prompted for the options of
> some other port.

I have seen something like this but it's not what you think it is.

What happens is that portupgrade recognizes some port needs to be
installed, and schedules it --- then some other port which needs it
installs/upgrades it as a dependency.  this also leads to portupgrade
failing in the case of a new port because it tries to install it when
it's already been installed (I work around with FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=1)

--
brandon s. allbery     [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]
allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator  [openafs,heimdal,too many hats]
allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon university
KF8NH