mailman upgrade broke "group mismatch"

Jean Milanez Melo jmelo at freebsdbrasil.com.br
Thu Jun 8 05:51:12 UTC 2006

Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 21:25:54 -0500, Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Lee,
>>
>> 在 2006-06-06二的 22:01 -0400,Lee Dilkie写道:
>>> I've tried changing the group on the /usr/local/mailman tree to
>>> "mailnull"
>>>
>>> I've tried setting MM_GROUPNAME=mailnull and MM_GROUPID=26 (mailnull's
>>> group ID) in /etc/make.conf and running portupgrade -f mailman. In
>>> order for "configure" to work I have to "chgrp -R
>>> mailnull /usr/local/mailman" first. But that doesn't work in the end
>>> either. Actually, the web interface works but posts to lists don't do
>>> anything, no bounce either.
>>>
>>> I've tried mv-ing /usr/local/mailman to another directory and
>>> re-installing mailman into a clean directory, copying over those files
>>> I think are important from the old dir (all my lists and stuff), and
>>> still it doesn't work. BTW, the default mailman from ports does *not*
>>> use group "mailnull", it uses "mailman".
>>>
>>> Just what do I have to do to get my lists back up and working again?
>>
>> Have you tried to have a "make config" in ports/mail/mailman and choose
>> postfix, then deinstall and reinstall the port?
>>
>> BTW.  Having the configuration in /etc/make.conf is not generally
>> encouraged.  If you use portupgrade(1) then it would be better to
>> use /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf instead.
>
> I disagree, the make.conf is global and will work by any tools.
> Therefore, pkgtools.conf is not generally encouraged.

Hello,

I'm mailman maintainer. In the Makefile, the variable MAIL_GID is
defined using +=, so when you set this variable in make.conf the
resulting MAIL_GID variable would be "mailman mailnull".

Tomorrow i'll fix it to ?=, so MAIL_GID in make.conf will work again.

Other option is use "make config" in ports directory to choose the
MAIL_GID and do all the rest for you.

- Jean