portupgrade ideas page

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Jun 7 17:15:47 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 01:38:31PM +0400, Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
> Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> > Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
> >> I think it's great, but I'm not sure I'll do it soon.
> >> But I plan to implement some locking mechanism to allow to run a few
> >> portupgrade processes safely.
> >   It should be sophisticated lock mechanism, to prevent build depended
> > ports before dependee ones.
> >

> Sure. So it spends a time for me to project.

FYI, you might like to check out the 'makeparallel' pointyhat script
(in /usr/ports/Tools).  This takes an INDEX as input and spits out an
enormous makefile with all dependencies enumerated, so you can just
use make -j for parallel builds in correct dependency order.  You
wouldn't have to construct the full makefile, only the subset
corresponding to the ports that are going to be updated.

You'd still need mutual exclusion around e.g. the pkgdb, but you
wouldn't have to add mutual exclusion throughout bsd.port.mk since
make guarantees there will be none (if the index is accurate).

Kris