portupgrade ideas page

Jiawei Ye leafy7382 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 19:49:45 PDT 2006

On 6/7/06, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> > If all customizations are to be done in make.conf, what is the point
> > of MAKE_ARGS in pkgtools.conf?
>
> Flexibility, it's not supposed to be the primary means of customizing
> your ports, that's make.conf's job.
>
> Kris
Eh, not supposed to be? I have to admit that this idea of
"correctness" is new to me. I have been using portupgrade since it
came into the ports tree. One thing I like about the
portupgrade/portmanager style of managing ports make_args is that they
provide a very simple syntax for specifying per-port args.
'<portname>'=>'arg1 arg2.....' (portupgrade style)
<portname>|arg1 arg2 arg3| (portmanager style)

Does make.conf provide such syntax? Last time I read from the ML, one
needs the {curdir} magic boiler plate for that. It is hard on the eyes
and reduces useful information on a 80x25 console IMHO.

Jiawei

--
"Without the userland, the kernel is useless."
               --inspired by The Tao of Programming