Using darcs to retrieve source in ports

Ian Morrison ian at darq.net
Sat Jul 29 12:52:28 UTC 2006

Hi there,

I'm trying to build a port of PacketForth, (https://packets.goto10.org/)
and it's going pretty well.  However, as it's still in the early stages
of development, there are no tarfiles available online, and the
preferred method of fetching the source is by using the darcs version
control system.  The single command I ran to get the source was "darcs
get http://url" and I was wondering it's possible for a port to retrieve
files in this way.  I've been following the porters handbook, but it
assumes use fetch(1) for everything.  Should I tar up the sources
periodically and host them on a webserver somewhere?  Is that the
preferred way of doing things?

Thanks for any help guys,

ian