GNAT port is broken, maintainer don't care

Frank Laszlo laszlof at vonostingroup.com
Fri Jul 28 14:30:51 UTC 2006

Rico Secada wrote:
> Hi
>
> During an atempt to install GNAT, in order to compile some ada code on work, I have noticed that the GNAT port breaks on RELEASE.

Please send the applicable logs and error messages.
> <..snip..>
>
> Forgive me if I am wrong! But this can't be right. I believe it is better to NOT maintain a port rather than maintain a port, which you really don't have the time to make sure works. I am not a developer, I am unable to figure out what is wrong with the port, but thats not the issue.

This is true, but without any error report, there is no way anyone can
be sure what exactly the problem is.
> Simply put: "I am a maintainer of a port on FreeBSD, but I only have time to run current, and thus doesn't care a rats ass about if the port works on RELEASE, eventhough thats the most widely used version of FreeBSD."
>
> This can't be right!

That is not what he said, he said that he is unable to test it on
another version, as he only runs -CURRENT. supply some error reports,
logs, etc of the problem, and someone will likely test it for you.

I myself had no problem building databases/gnats4 on -RELEASE.
databases/gnats is marked as FORBIDDEN due to a security issue.

Frank Laszlo
System Administrator
The VonOstin Group
Email:  laszlof at tvog.net