RFC: Merging X11BASE to LOCALBASE

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Tue Jul 18 19:44:03 UTC 2006

Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak at ijs.si> writes:
> [...] as far as X.org 7 ports themselves go, they right now already
> happily build and install under /usr/X11R6 prefix [...]

This makes no sense at all, since X.org is (by definition) X11R7.

BTW, I am constantly amazed at FreeBSD ports maintainers' continued
insistence that X, Y or Z "can't be done" when in fact everybody else
is already doing it, and FreeBSD is the odd one out with innumberable
hacks and tweaks to make it work "our way" instead of the way
everybody else does it.  This debate is a perfect example of this: the
rest of the world already installs everything (X, KDE, Gnome...) under
a single prefix - usually /usr - yet FreeBSD port maintainers insist
that it can't possibly be done.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no