hpijs/hplip, foomatic-rip, and CUPS 1.2.0

Anish Mistry amistry at am-productions.biz
Mon Jul 17 23:49:26 UTC 2006

On Monday 17 July 2006 19:05, Anthony Agelastos wrote:
> On Jul 16, 2006, at 11:19 PM, John Merryweather Cooper wrote:
> > Anthony Agelastos wrote:

> >> I just did a /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd restart and then printed
> >> something from my laptop. Same error.
> >> dell# lpstat -t
> >> scheduler is running
> >> no system default destination
> >> device for Create_PDF: cups-pdf:/
> >> device for hp_LaserJet_1160Le: /dev/ulpt0
> >> Create_PDF accepting requests since Sun Jun 25 11:27:52 2006
> >> hp_LaserJet_1160Le accepting requests since Sun Jul 16 22:36:15
> >> 2006 printer Create_PDF is idle.  enabled since Sun Jun 25
> >> 11:27:52 2006 printer hp_LaserJet_1160Le is idle.  enabled since
> >> Sun Jul 16 22:36:15 2006
> >>         /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed
> >> hp_LaserJet_1160Le-30   iqgrande          7168   Sun Jul 16
> >> 22:36:02 2006

> > What are the permissions/ownership on /dev/ulpt0?
> >
> > jmc
>
> I do not remember if I created the user + group cups & hplip or if
> the system automatically did so for me. In any event, there are the
> following entries:
The hplip port automatically creates the user.  If you are using hplip
then you shouldn't have ulpt in your kernel or be loading it as a
module.  eg.  You printer MUST attach as a ugen device.  Once it is
attaching as a ugen device you should run hp-setup to correctly
configure the printer via the HP utilities.

If there is any confusion I'd suggest updating to 1.6.6a from the
following PR and following all the instructions in the pkg-message
from the PR as it explains everything you need to do to get hpluip up
and running correctly.

Anish Mistry
amistry at am-productions.biz
AM Productions http://am-productions.biz/