RFC: Merging X11BASE to LOCALBASE

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 14 06:59:27 UTC 2006

What's the gain? Transition will be a really big PITA for most existing
users. Everybody who would be trying to install a KDE/GNOME or even a
general X11 port after a switchover still having all X11 bits in
/usr/X11R6 is likely to be screwed on build time, due to mismatching
includes/libraries search paths. And I am not even telling about
run-time problems with datafiles in KDE/GNOME.

The only way to handle such a merge for ordinary Joe User would be to
remove all X11 bits and pieces and compile/install everything from
scratch. And despite what X11 maintainers may believe (due to the nature
of their position they
compile/install/remove/compile/install/remove/.../ad infinite all X11
bits and pieces every day), ordinary Joe User doesn't like such gross
upgrades, since even with the best packaging system in the world
virtually any such upgrade will bring new unanticipated problems to the
system that otherwise has been working before upgrade just fine.

Therefore, I doubt that such "pull the trigger" approach is really going
to work in this case. Some more gradual course is in due: with X11R6
being banned as a target for a new ports, with new GNOME version moving
to the LOCALBASE and so on.

-Maxim