graphics/linux-dri on 4.11

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri Jul 7 18:23:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 12:18:15PM -0500, Matt Sealey wrote:
> I guess this has been completely looked over since BSD tar got very
> clever about it. The worry is.. isn't 4.x totally obsolete, unsupported
> now, and therefore not worth coding that fix for? :D

The policy is that we no longer require committers to make sure things
work on 4.X before they commit.  To the extent that people send patches,
things will keep running.

The security team support for RELENG_4 is currently scheduled to end on
20070131.  After that point, ports support on 4 is going to be especially
problematic; I am currently trying to determine _exactly_ how bad the
bitrot on 4 is.  It's worse than people think.

Anyone running a desktop needs to be on 6.1 or RELENG_6 now, unless they
are one of the few people affected by one of the bugs, or for some reason
are staying on 5.5 for now.

mcl